Cointelegraph.com News Cointelegraph covers fintech, blockchain and Bitcoin bringing you the latest crypto news and analyses on the future of money.
- AirBit Club ‘ponzi’ co-founder gets 12 years prisonby Cointelegraph By Brayden Lindrea on September 27, 2023 at 2:19 am
Convicted fraudster Pablo Renato Rodriguez will also need to serve three years of supervised release after he finishes his 12 year imprisonment sentence.
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s political donations can be surfaced in trial, rules judgeby Cointelegraph By Tom Mitchelhill on September 27, 2023 at 1:49 am
Despite campaign finance charges being dropped in July, the prosecution has been granted permission to present evidence of Bankman-Fried’s political donations in his upcoming fraud trial.
- Crypto lender BlockFi gets court nod for plan to repay customersby Cointelegraph By Brayden Lindrea on September 26, 2023 at 10:18 pm
The approval is seen as a milestone moment for BlockFi’s 100,000-plus creditors, who have been long awaiting repayment.
- Nomura’s Laser Digital receives in-principal approval for operations in Abu Dhabiby Cointelegraph By Derek Andersen on September 26, 2023 at 9:43 pm
The Japanese bank joins a rapidly growing number of digital asset firms operating in Abu Dhabi and the rest of the United Arab Emirates.
- SEC pushes deadline for ARK 21Shares spot Bitcoin ETF to Januaryby Cointelegraph By Turner Wright on September 26, 2023 at 9:01 pm
The commission gave itself an additional 60 days to consider the listing of ARK 21Shares’ investment vehicle on the Cboe BZX Exchange, with a final deadline set for Jan. 10.
- US lawmakers call on SEC chair to approve spot Bitcoin ETFs ‘immediately’by Cointelegraph By Turner Wright on September 26, 2023 at 8:25 pm
The members of the House Financial Services Committee are expected to question Gary Gensler during a Sept. 27 hearing on SEC oversight.
- Here’s what happened in crypto todayby Cointelegraph By Serge Egon Ostman on September 26, 2023 at 8:03 pm
Need to know what happened in crypto today? Here is the latest news on daily trends and events impacting Bitcoin price, blockchain, DeFi, NFTs, Web3 and crypto regulation.
- Bitwise amends spot Bitcoin ETF application with new, detailed argumentationby Cointelegraph By Derek Andersen on September 26, 2023 at 7:47 pm
The amendments tackle arguments made by the SEC against the use of the CME BTC futures market for surveillance sharing.
- CBDCs could support a more stable economy — if banks run the showby Cointelegraph By Bradley Allgood on September 26, 2023 at 7:40 pm
Central bank digital currencies could confer economic benefits if governments don’t use them to cannibalize the commercial banking industry.
- Former White House official will lead Ripple’s policy and government armby Cointelegraph By Turner Wright on September 26, 2023 at 7:03 pm
Ripple’s newest head of U.S. public policy previously worked in similar roles at Softbank Group, Zoom and Lyft following six years in government.
Bitcoin News Daily Bitcoin News
- Worldcoin Blows up in Chile; Sign-Ups Exceed 1% of the Populationby Sergio Goschenko on September 27, 2023 at 1:30 am
Worldcoin, the biometric wallet and ID project, has reported that it has signed up more than 1% of the population of Chile. According to the organization, more than 200,000 Chileans are already using Worldcoin, a popularity uptick shared with other South American countries, including Argentina, where 9,500 Argentines verified their IDs in a day. Worldcoin
- Judge Limits Bankman-Fried’s Trial Arguments; Allows Recreational Drug Use Questionsby Jamie Redman on September 27, 2023 at 12:00 am
A federal judge has issued rulings limiting some arguments the defense can make at Sam Bankman-Fried’s criminal fraud trial next month. However, the judge will allow Bankman-Fried’s lawyers to question witnesses about past recreational drug use. Bankman-Fried Can’t Mention Jail Time at Trial In a 16-page order, Lewis Kaplan, the U.S. District judge presiding over
- Bernstein: Crypto Funds Poised for 13x Growth: From $50B to $650B in 5 Yearsby Jamie Redman on September 26, 2023 at 10:30 pm
Bitcoin and crypto asset funds currently represent a niche market with an estimated worth of $50 billion, as highlighted by Bernstein Research. Yet, under the leadership of Gautam Chhugani, Bernstein’s team of analysts anticipates these funds may oversee between “$500-650 billion of assets” in the coming five years. $650B Horizon: Bernstein Envisions Massive Growth in
- Moneygram Introduces Non-Custodial Crypto Wallet for Cross-Border Paymentsby Jamie Redman on September 26, 2023 at 8:30 pm
Moneygram, a leading money transfer company, announced plans to launch its own non-custodial digital wallet in partnership with the Stellar Development Foundation. The wallet will enable users to convert between fiat and digital currencies when sending cross-border payments. Moneygram Partners With Stellar to Launch Non-Custodial Digital Wallet Set to launch in the first quarter of
- Treasury Sanctions Ethereum Wallet Used by Sinaloa Cartel to Launder Fentanyl Financing by Jamie Redman on September 26, 2023 at 6:30 pm
The U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned an Ethereum wallet used by the Sinaloa Cartel to launder money from fentanyl sales in the U.S. Mario Alberto Jimenez Castro, an accused money launderer for the cartel’s Los Chapitos faction, allegedly directed the use of cryptocurrency and wire transfers to pay cartel leaders
- Chase UK to Block Crypto Payments Amid Scam Concerns and Regulatory Changesby Jamie Redman on September 26, 2023 at 4:30 pm
JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s U.K. division, Chase UK, is putting the brakes on cryptocurrency-related payments. Come October 16, any Chase UK customers attempting to make a bank transfer or card payment linked to crypto will find themselves thwarted. Chase UK to Halt Crypto Payments in Mid-October Chase UK customers are about to hit a roadblock
- Biggest Movers: BCH 5% Higher, as BNB Nears Key Price Targetby Eliman Dambell on September 26, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Bitcoin cash rose by as much as 5% on Tuesday, as bulls extended recent gains following last week’s consolidation. The token rose for a second consecutive session, moving closer to a resistance level of $225 in the process. BNB also climbed, pushing towards a ceiling of its own at $220. Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Bitcoin
- Ordinals Creator Casey Rodarmor Introduces ‘Runes,’ New Fungible Token Protocol for Bitcoin by Jamie Redman on September 26, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Casey Rodarmor, creator of Bitcoin Ordinal inscriptions, introduced a new fungible token protocol named Runes in a blog post September 25, 2023. Although uncertain if it’s a “good idea,” Rodarmor believes a robust fungible token protocol could “bring significant transaction fee revenue, developer mindshare, and users to Bitcoin.” Bitcoin’s Ordinals Pioneer Presents New ‘Runes’ Protocol
- Bitcoin, Ethereum Technical Analysis: BTC, ETH Rebound Ahead of US Consumer Confidence Databy Eliman Dambell on September 26, 2023 at 12:47 pm
Bitcoin rebounded from a multi-week low on Tuesday, as markets awaited the latest consumer confidence report in the United States. The latest figures from the Conference Board are expected to show a slight decline, with a reading of 105.9 in September. This will be down from 106.1 the month prior. Bitcoin Bitcoin was back
- Bitboy Ben Armstrong Arrested During Live Stream Over Stolen Lamboby Lubomir Tassev on September 26, 2023 at 11:50 am
Crypto influencer Ben ‘Bitboy’ Armstrong has been reportedly arrested while livestreaming his attempt to confront a former business partner. Excerpts from the Youtube video released on social media show him explaining to police the reasons for his deed, including the alleged theft of his Lamborghini. Bitboy Crypto Gets Detained in Front of Former Business Partner’s